FAQ (Frequently asked questions)

New to the Neighborhood?

A. Only property owners may establish residential garbage services in Piedmont. If you own your home, contact Republic Services at (800) 320-8077 to start weekly garbage, recycling, and organics collection service. If you are renting, contact your landlord or property manager to start weekly garbage, recycling, and organics collection service.
A. Yes. Section 9.03.010 of the Piedmont Municipal Code states: "Every owner of any premises shall ensure that arrangements are made to properly dispose of solid waste, recyclable material, and organic waste created, produced, or accumulated on the premises through either maintaining a subscription for regular collection service or self-hauling pursuant to a permit issued under section 9.03.060"

Tips to Save Money on Collection Services

A. There are four ways to reduce the cost of garbage collection service.
  • Service rates are based upon the size of your garbage cart. Collection service for recyclables and organics is unlimited in volume and provided at no additional cost. By recycling more and generating less garbage, you may be able to switch to a smaller garbage cart to save money. But be sure to choose the right container for your garbage needs. Charges will be assessed for overflowing garbage, garbage set out beyond your service level, or allowing garbage to accumulate on your property. Recycling carts and organics carts contaminated with garbage will not be serviced. Call Republic Services at (800) 320-8077 to order additional or larger carts for recyclables and organics.
  • On-premises (backyard) collection service costs more than curbside service. Switching to curbside service saves approximately $50 per month. With curbside collection, the customer is responsible for placing the wheeled carts at the curb on their regular collection service day and returning the carts to their storage location promptly after collection. With curbside collection, carts are not limited in size as they are with on-premises collection.
  • An Annual Pre-Payment Discount allows single family customers to voluntarily pay for one (1) year of service with the twelfth (12th) month of service provided at no charge. That is 12 months of service for the cost of 11 months of service.
  • Physically disabled residential customers with no able-bodied household members are eligible to receive on-premises (backyard) collection at curbside rates. The maximum cart size available to on-premises collection is 35 gallons. To receive the discount, the account holder must fill out the application for exemption to curbside placement of carts, provide a doctor's certification that the customer is unable to move the carts to the curb or provide a copy of a valid California Disability Placard, and verify that there are no able-bodied household members that can move the carts to the curb.

Service Rates for Single Family Residences

A. Single family residential prices are based on the size of the garbage cart. Each residential account includes unlimited recycling and organics carts. Carts used for on-premises (backyard) services are limited to a maximum size of 35 gallons. Additional garbage carts are available for an additional cost.

Curbside Collection:

  • 20 Gallon Garbage Cart - $94.76 per month
  • 35 Gallon Garbage Cart - $100.41 per month
  • 65 Gallon Garbage Cart - $138.33 per month
  • 95 Gallon Garbage Cart - $154.91 per month

Residential Rates Effective July 1, 2023 - Curbside Service

On-Premises (Backyard) Collection:
  • 20 Gallon Garbage Cart - $145 per month
  • 35 Gallon Garbage Cart - $150.65 per month

Backyard Rates Effective July 1, 2023 - Back Yard Service
(Limited to 20 or 35 gallon carts ONLY for worker safety)

Interested in Organics Recycling (Composting)?

A. Yard trimmings, food scraps and food soiled paper. All items must fit within the cart with the lid completely closed. This includes twigs and branches. Click here to view Organics Recycling details.
A. All plastics (including bags and flower pots), all glass and metal, pet waste, diapers, treated or coated wood, trash, hazardous waste and rocks (dirt, concrete and sand).
A. On those periodic occasions when a single-family customer has additional green waste more than what can be placed in the Green Organics Cart, they may call Republic Services at (800) 320-8077 to request overage bags in which to place the additional plant debris. Organics collection is unlimited in volume and is provided at no additional cost. If a customer regularly finds that they have more yard debris than will fit in the green Organics cart, they can call Republic Services to request an additional green cart.
A. Properly sorting your food scraps and food soiled paper not only helps fight climate change, it's now the law. Effective January 2022, State law (SB 1383) requires all residents and businesses to keep compostable and recyclable materials of of California's landfills and subscribe to organics collective services. Food scraps and food soiled paper are the largest single item in our waste stream - making up approximately 35% of what we throw away in Alameda County. Food scraps are a resource, not a waste. By participating in the food scrap recycling program, food scraps and food soiled paper are sent to a composting facility. Instead of taking up space in the landfill, your food scraps become compost - a valuable resource used by landscapers and farmers. The result is a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions and a healthier environment. To learn more, visit the http://stopfoodwaste.org website.
A. Collect food scraps and food-soiled paper in the green kitchen pail. Empty the pail contents into the large green Organics cart for collection. DO NOT place the kitchen pail outside for collection. Refer to the service guide at the top of this page for additional information and hints on Food Scrap Recycling. You can also visit the http://stopfoodwaste.org website to learn more.
A. No. These food scraps from household garbage disposals end up in the wastewater system and do not get composted. However, the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) wastewater treatment plant at the base of the Bay Bridge in Oakland not only treats sewage but takes food scraps from restaurants and supermarkets that usually go to the landfill and converts them into renewable energy. The process is a natural microbial activity called anaerobic digestion which converts these food scraps into biogas, which is used to power EBMUD's wastewater plant. The excess energy is sold back to the grid or used as carbon credits. The project supports local and regional efforts towards green- house gas reduction (climate change), oil independence, zero waste and landfill reduction.
A. Home composting information can be found on the StopWaste.org website.

I am interested in Recycling the Right Way

A. Recycling is a weekly, unlimited service and included at no extra cost.
A. It's long list and includes all types of paper, flattened cardboard boxes, clean egg cartons and waxed paper containers, shredded paper, all plastics #1-7, aseptic containers, glass containers, metal/tin containers, aluminum foil/pans and empty spray cans, metal lids and caps. Click here to view Recycling details.
A. This is a long list too but anything that is trash, organics or household hazardous waste should not be placed in the Blue Cart. This includes ceramic plates/cups, window and mirror glass, light bulbs, glassware, metal coat hangers, clothing, snack wrappers, video/audio tapes, garden hoses, food products and more. Click here to view Recycling details.
A. If you need an additional recycling cart, call Republic Services Customer Service at 800-320-8077. But if this is a one-time or occasional occurrence, your bagged recycling overage can be set out within 3 feet of the curb. However, notice is required!
A. Berkeley Recycling located at 669 Gilman Street in Berkeley pays for certain recyclables at their Buyback. To learn which materials will be purchased and current pricing, visit berkeleyrecycling.org.
A. TVs, computer monitors, computers, keyboards, cables, small accessories, inkjet printers/scanners/fax machines, laser printers, desktop copiers, stereos, audio/video equipment, video games, laptops, cellular/cordless phones and answering machines, power supplies. Click here to view E-Waste details.
A. Yes, to schedule a Curbside E-Waste On-Call Clean-up, call Republic Services at 800-320-8077
A. DO NOT place any batteries or cell phones in any of your wheeled carts. You can properly dispose and recycle household batteries and cell phones in one of three ways:
A. Latex and oil-based paint needs to be taken to an Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. Call (800) 606-6606 or visit http://www.StopWaste.org/recycling/residents/household-hazardous-waste/paints.
A. They cannot be recycled or thrown in the garbage and must be disposed of properly. Please visit the Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste website or call (800) 606-6606 for proper disposal instructions.
A. Visit the web site of StopWaste.org. or call their toll-free hotline, (877) 786-7927.

Collection Day Information

A. Service hours are Monday - Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
A. There is no garbage, organics, or recycling collection on New Year's Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. During weeks when these holidays fall on a weekday, pickup is one day later for the rest of the week, including Saturday. For example, if your regular service day is Tuesday you will get service on Wednesday, or if your regular service day is Friday you will get service on Saturday. Garbage, recycling, and organics collection schedules are not affected by any other holidays.

Additional Service Questions

A. Call Republic Services at their toll- free number, (800) 320-8077 before 12 noon for a return trip on the same day.
A. Call Republic Services at their toll-free number, (800) 320-8077. Republic Services will also provide additional recyclables and organics carts at no extra cost.
A. Customers with on-premises (backyard) collection service should keep all their carts in an accessible location out of view from the street in the side or rear yard. The blue recycling cart should be kept next to the black and green carts and does not need to be taken to the curb.

Customers who have opted to have Curbside collection service should place all their carts within three feet of the curb for collection no earlier than 6:00 p.m. on the day prior to the scheduled collection day and must remove all carts from the curb no later than 12:00 midnight on the scheduled collection day. Customers may not place carts in a public street, or public sidewalk, but may place carts in the right-of-way parking strip. To help reduce scavenging, please place the carts out before 7:00 a.m.

Should you need a trash enclosure to screen your bins please see the Trash Enclosure Information Brochure.
A. Get a description of the person and/or the make and model of the vehicle and call the police non-emergency number, (510) 420-3000.