Working with a contractor

In California, you can only get a permit if you are either a:

  • Properly licensed California contractor
  • Property owner who is acting legally as an owner-builder

If you are working with a contractor, make sure their license is current. They also need a current City of Piedmont business license.

If you are planning to do the work yourself, learn how to be an owner-builder.